Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Day Laboring at the Flood Gates

I live in a community that is one town over from Farmingville, New York, which has been a flash point for illegal immigration for years.

Of course I am firmly planted on the left of the issue, but just lately I've been wondering, what is the issue?

Because these people make barely a living wage, and are forced to live in overcrowded, dilapidated houses. They built my house I'm sure, and they're certainly fueling the boom that has raised the value of my house 100%.

Yet, here's the reality of it. Like I said, I live near Farmingville. I do not have one of these flophouses next to me. Having said that, in order to drop off my children, I drive by the 7-11 where the labor market is conducted. I wouldn't get my coffee there.

And I don't even know why. I know that these people are here to make a living. I don't believe the myth that brown men are just looking for any white woman to victimize. I pass them in the aisles of the supermarket and in my local McDonald's. And yet I wouldn't through their market for coffee.

And I'm very relieved that I live in Holtsville, and my house hasn't plummeted in value.

There is great debate around here about setting up a labor market. And here's where I'm left leaning. The argument is against amnesty and illegals, versus doing it "the right way, the way my father and his father, and blah blah blah."

I say open the freakin' borders. Let anyone in who wants to come in.

At its best it would be safe harbor for oppressed people, at its worst it would force not only us, but the rest of the world to step up to the plate, as people and as nations. We would have to do better in order to maintain our capitalist forbearance, and they would need to find reasons for their people to stay.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?