Sunday, July 17, 2005

 

Payback's a bitch!

During the build-up to the Iraq War, I listened to the arguments, waiting for someone to convince me that the secular dictator, Saddam Hussein had something to do with the fundamentalists from Al Qaeda. I never heard it.

Last year, as the Kerry campaign was assaulted by the Swift Boat Veterans I watched. I could not believe that anyone would take them seriously. The Bush campaign (aka Karl Rove) let it circulate long enough so that when they did step up, it was too late.

And slowly, over time I heard both assertions told to me by fairly intelligent people, again and again as if they were truth. Suddenly we were at war with a country that played no part in 9/11, and a war hero was now a shirker and the shirker was president.

I had learned what advertisers, politicians--Mr. Rove especially, reporters, and clergy know. If you hear it often enough, loud enough, its veracity no longer matters. It becomes true.

So, Mr. Rove, I am thinking (and I bet Senator Kerry is too), payback's a bitch. There is such a thing as karma.

It doesn't matter anymore whether you leaked it, or agreed with it, or slept with it, or testified about it... The assertion has been repeated an awful lot. Does the truth really matter?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?